Frequently Asked Questions

See our most common questions related to the Cook Islands boat registration.


All nationalities are accepted for the Cook Islands flag.

  • Passport/ID copy
  • Bill of sale copy
  • Boat details (Brand, model, year of build, Hull no.)
  • Payment of insurance proof
  • Safety equipment list

You will get the provisional registration within a week.

That’s correct. The Cook Islands Maritime Administration (CIMA) normally provides the certificate of registration in paper format.

Boats can be registered for one, three and five years.

Documents are accepted in English language. If any paperwork is not in English, they will need to be translated by a qualified translator and notarized. (We'll handle the official translation.)

When registering or renewing a pleasure boat, a survey or inspection is normally not necessary unless the boat is over a particular age or has undergone considerable alterations or repairs.

Before the first registration and during the renewal process, commercial boats often need to undergo a survey or inspection.

Kindly provide us the following documents to apply for your MMSI license:

  • Bill of sale copy
  • Copy of the Cook Islands registration
  • Radio operator license

Yes. We can help you with modifying the owner of the Cook Islands flag. Kindly provide us the following documents:

  • Bill of sale copy
  • Copy of the Cook Islands registration
  • New owner’s passport/ID copy
  • Seller’s passport/ID copy

We can help you with cancelation of the Cook Islands flag, send the original Cook Islands registration back to our office address.

For pleasure yachts, no license is required to sail with a Cook Islands flag. However, it is important to note that the boat operator must still comply with the rules and regulations of the waters in which the vessel is sailing.

For commercial vessels, the Cook Islands Ship Registry requires that the boat operator holds a valid certificate of competency, which demonstrates that they have the necessary knowledge and skills to safely operate the vessel.

Yes, you can register the boat for commercial or bareboat use.

Stay Connected